The Awards page has been updated with the dates for this year’s annual awards submissions for achievements in 2015. The submissions period will be open from March 1, 2016 – April 15, 2016. Submission forms will be available starting March 1. Please direct any questions about the awards process to RC VADM Wayne Augustson.
Holiday Inn Express, Hanover MD
Meeting was called to order by RC VADM Wayne Augustson.
Roll call of chapters led by VRC ADM Bob Vosseller. Chapters represented:
- USS Albany
- USS Avenger
- USS Britannic
- USS Challenger
- USS Debraak
- USS Justice
- USS Matrix
- USS Pride of Baltimore
- USS Richthofen
- USS Serling
- USS Storm
Roll call of regional staff led by Regional Chief of Staff VADM Jeff Victor. Staff in attendance:
- Regional Coordinator VADM Wayne Augustson
- Vice Regional Coordinator ADM Bob Vosseller
- Chief of Staff VADM Jeff Victor
- Chief of Communications RADM Karen Mitchell Carothers
- Chief Financial Officer VADM Mike Stein
- Chief Recruitment Officer FCPT Lisa Stuckey
Staff reports presented:
Financial Report (VADM Mike Stein): For The Period Ending 8/31/15:
- Beginning balance of funds as of July 1, 2015, was $1,123 at PNC Bank
- A donation for $100 for the COPD Foundation was received from the USS Sovereign in July.
- During the month of August, a total of $65 was received for the sale of 13 R7 patches.
- A donation for $50 for the COPD Foundation was received from the USS Britannic also this past August.
In August 2015 a check was issued for $150 payable to the COPD Foundation along with a letter that listed those two chapters that donated these funds in memory of Leonard Nimoy.
Financial Status & Net Results: As of August 31, 2015, Starfleet – Region 7’s bank balance at PNC Bank is $1,188.
Since May 2005, we’ve received $433 from Empties4Cash.com for 343 qualified ink jet and laser toner cartridges.
Communications Report (RADM Karen Mitchell Carothers):
- We have a Facebook page now, to replace the Facebook group that was deleted by Joe Dorffner. Search for STARFLEET Region 7
- Remember that pages aren’t private, so please don’t post anything up there you wouldn’t want the entire world to see, ok?
- Email lists are still in effect
- R7 List for general regional info/participation
- R7 CO/XO for CO/XO/RC discussion
- R7 Staff for internal staff communications
- R7 Announce still exists, should we keep?
- I will be revising the list FAQs and Facebook FAQs
- Once I get access to the website, I will be:
- Checking that all chapter info is correct, including web presence
- Checking that all staff info is correct, including ranks
- Talking with the staff about what additional info can be reflected to the page
- Minutes for this meeting should be posted by Sunday evening
- I want to look into recreating a regional newsletter of a sort, so be on the lookout for more info on that project in the coming months
Recruiting Department Report (FCPT Lisa Stuckey):
STARFLEET R7 is gearing up to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek in 2016. Please bring your ideas for ways we (and your chapters) can celebrate to the 50th Anniversary & Recruiting Panel later today at the conference or you can email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chief of Staff Report (VADM Jeff Victor):
Jeff reported on the recent staffing changes at the regional level (Joe Dorffner’s resignation, Karen moving to Comms, Lisa taking over recruiting). Annual awards selection will become a senior regional staff job, as Doris Hutley is resigning. Jeff thanked her for her years of service in the position. As usual, the awards process will be tweaked a bit to continue to streamline and improve things.
Next year’s regional conference will be celebrating 50 years of Trek, it will be run by the regional staff, and will most likely be in Cherry Hill, NJ at the site of the 2012 R7 conference. While we don’t have a date set yet, it will most likely be in the fall.
VRC Report (ADM Bob Vosseller):
Bob also congratulated the new staff and folks in new positions, and also touched on the importance of the 50th Anniversary milestone for STARFLEET, R7, and the chapters. It’s a good time for lots of fun and promoting our club. Make it a party! R7 may be looking into purchasing ads in convention programs where there’s a strong R7 presence as part of those efforts.
Bob also mentioned the upcoming decommission of the USS Accord and encouraged everyone to attend the upcoming (and perhaps last) Watkins Glen Weekend. He also noted that R7 was very well represented at the Niagara Falls IC.
RC Report (VADM Wayne Augustson):
Not much has changed since Shore Leave 37 back in August…
Currently, Region 7 has 29 chapters and 613 members. Unfortunately, we’ll be saying goodbye over the next month or so to the USS Accord, which will be decommissioning due to changes in lives of the membership; many will relocate to USS Serling. The USS Edinburgh will be voluntarily decommissioning. The CO and XO and most of the membership have already left STARFLEET. There is no need to comment on said decommissioning…
Dave Sladky was recently named the 7th Brigade OIC- congratulations! I’ve stepped down as the 5th Battalion OIC and my deputy, Kyle Wolf, now heads the NY marine units. Congrats to Kyle!
Doris Htley, as of this Conference, is stepping down as R7 Awards Director. Those duties have now been wrapped up into the RC’s duties. We thank Doris for her 3 years of service!
As mentioned before, the regional Staff has an improved look- Karen Carothers is our new Region Chief of Communications and Lisa Stuckey is our new Regional Recruitment Officer! Welcome to them both
As I do each and every meeting, I thank all of the chapters for submitting their MSRs on time and for maintaining 10+ paid members in FLEET. It really, really seems to be important to the folks that write my paycheck and what’s important to them is important to me as well! And again, please remember, if you have problems with reporting or other database issues, contact Computer Operations. Try not to contact Laura Victor directly…
The command Staff is beginning to make plans for Star Trek’s 50th anniversary. We will be arranging for a number of events throughout 2016, including a Staff-run regional Conference- the theme, 50 years of Star Trek… more on that in a bit…
This Regional Conference is being hosted by the USS Richthofen- let’s give these fine folks a round of applause for what I am sure is going to be a great weekend!.
I hope everyone, pirates as well as privateers, enjoy the Conference and feel free to bribe your beloved RC with rum and coin throughout the weekend!
Also, remember that our anniversary celebration starts January 1, we don’t have to wait until the official anniversary date in the fall.
Weather permitting, Wayne is looking into setting up a regional anniversary dinner celebration during the Farpoint convention at one of the local restaurants (perhaps the Silver Springs Mining Co).
R7 Conference Announcements (presented by RADM Karen Mitchell Carothers, conference chair):
- Thanks to everyone for coming!
- Last minute program book errata:
- Cosplay panel is on Saturday at 4pm in Arundel A, followed by the persona panel
- Thanks to Annie Wheeler and Judy Waidlich for volunteering to sit on the Academy panel with me
- Model building panel was cancelled on Friday afternoon due to flooding in John’s storage unit, please keep him in your thoughts as he goes through salvage and trying to get restitution
- Please buy badge ribbons and charity raffle tickets
- We will pull the winners of the charity raffle after dinner in Arundel A (9pm). Must be present to win!
- Charity info signs
- Weather forecast update
2014 annual awards presentation:
- Chapter of the Year- U.S.S. Serling
- CO of the Year- Lisa Stuckey (U.S.S. Serling)
- Officer of the Year- Maryse Quinn (U.S.S. Serling)
- Enlisted Member of the Year- David Bennett (U.S.S. Challenger)
- Flag Officer of the Year- Wayne Augustson (U.S.S. Britannic)
- Shakedown Chapter of the Year- U.S.S. Alaster
- Staff Member of the Year- Karen Carothers (U.S.S. Richthofen)
- Newsletter of the Year- U.S.S. Sirius
- Website of the Year- U.S.S. Serling
- Chapter Charity Award- U.S.S. Serling
- Helping Hands Award- Carl Deitrich (U.S.S. Susquehannock)
Floor was opened to announcements from the general membership:
R7 patches are still on sale for $5 each, once they are gone they are gone
The Avenger is planning a trip to the Intrepid museum (check Facebook for updates)
Meeting was adjourned by RC VADM Wayne Augustson and participants were dismissed for further conference fun and frivolity.